Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Design Art of Fine Art


California fine art photographer Bob Kolbrener, asked me to create a direct mail piece for a collection of his original images titled Yosemite in Spring.
     I met Bob in the early 1980s when I worked as the graphic designer for The Saint Louis Art Museum. Over the years I've designed many collateral pieces and several museum books and catalogs for Kolbrener. He trusts me to create layouts that don't get in the way of his fine art photographs. Rather, the design, as Bob puts it, complements his art. I taught myself this discipline and call it The Design Art of Fine Art.
     As a designer, it's tempting to take large images like Bob's photographs and run type over or around them and make it a design of your own. But it takes more discipline to let the art stand on its own and create a layout that adds to the beauty of the imagery.
     With Bob's photos, it's always a win-win situation for me. I give him the room to showcase his art, and in return, I have an example of designing a unique solution for a unique client.

Learn more about the Art of Creative Direction at Berkeley Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment